Thursday, August 11, 2011

Living with one of the Classical Languages

            If I look out the visitor statistics of my blog, I see only few requests from my country.  Most of the page views from America, England and Australia. I’m not sure whether it’s accurate. But this is what Blooger shows to me. So I would like to showcase my mother language Tamil to my fellow visitors.

Do you ever come across the term called Classical language?  This is what wiki says,

            A classical language is a language with a literature that is classical. According to UC Berkeley linguist George L. Hart, it should be ancient, it should be an independent tradition that arose mostly on its own, not as an offshoot of another tradition, and it must have a large and extremely rich body of ancient literature. Thus classical languages tend to be either dead languages, or show a high degree of diglossia, as the spoken varieties of the language diverge further and further away from the classical written language over centuries.

These are the 7 classical languages from the known world,

  1.             Greek
  2.             Sanskrit
  3.             Latin
  4.             Arabic
  5.             Hebrew
  6.             Tamil
  7.             Chinese

            Peweeeee.. I see my language Tamil in the list. I would like to add the points that come to mind when I think of Tamil.




  • Tamil is the only classical language that is STILL being spoken by people as a LIVING language all over the world (Not only in Tamilnadu, India)
  • Tamil is one of the oldest languages in the world.
  • Tamil is the only language has the alphabet to pronounce “zha” (Only Tamil peoples can understand this.
  • Famous Tamil literature “Thirukural” is most translated book in the world next to the Bible and Koran.
  • Finally it’s my mother language.

            I have few more points but like my previous spots, Every language has its own features and characteristics. That’s the reality J

8 comments:

Kumar said...

Massood says,
Okay There Is No Urdu Language Inducted In It...So What?? We Should Stop Communicating in Urdu??

Kumar said...

Shoarita said,

Tamil? Now I'm curious how it sounds since it's the first time I've heard of it. It's amaizing it hasn't been lost with the ages.

Kumar said...

ddearst said,

i dont really understand it :)

Kumar said...

Sarah said,

I like this post. It explains a little bit more about your language. :D

Sels' said...

Hey, nice Blog. (:
Would you like to follow my Blog too ?
It was really great if you do.
http://marieundselsebil.blogspot.com/
Greetings from Germany (:

Anonymous said...

hmm its interesting I believe I've heard of all of them except your language which is interesting

-Lauren

Anonymous said...

Greek helps a lot especialy when you speak french like me , because a lot of french words come from greek !
--Queenbee96--

Anonymous said...

Went to youtube to watch people speaking tamil , it looks so difficult ( and i like difficult languages xD ) , but i'd really like to know more about this language , can you make a post with the basic words of Tamil (like hi, how are you ?) and the pronociations or something like this ?
Thanks you
--QueenBee96--

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...